him & her

Awjin and I just celebrated our 3rd year anniversary (time flies!). I’ve been reflecting on our relationship and how much we’ve both grown. Something I’ve been thinking about lately is how much the media has shaped my image of the “perfect” relationship.

The recent #relationshipgoals fad has been bothering me (although it’s one of the more positive trends in the social-media sphere). Whenever I see #relationshipgoals inserted in comments — whether it be a photo of Bey and Jay Z at the Met Ball or a video of the stunning dance duo Keone and Mariel Madrid — I feel uneasy. It’s great to be inspired by other people’s stories and the love they share. And if those goals are building things like trust and intimacy, I cheer you on; my relationship with Awjin has definitely made me a better person — more understanding, forgiving, and stronger. But what’s unsettling is when we place expectations on a significant other (or someone we haven’t even met yet) based on perfected glimpses caught from a distance. When we try fitting our relationships into a perception of someone else’s, we miss out on building something of our own.

Happy 3 years, Awjin! Thanks for always believing in me, giving me the last french fry, and letting me drag you into this photoshoot. 🙂

new2

new3

new4

new5

new6

new7

new8

new9

Outfits

on her: {zara suede effect dress | american apparel turtleneck | aritzia jacoby coat | zara ankle boots | chloé drew bag}

on him: {uniqlo turtleneck | levi’s workshirt | levi’s 511 corduroy pants | timberland coat (similar here) | gap hat | sperry chukkas}

photography by the lovely alice xiang

10 Comments

1. February 25, 2016 / 10:24 pm

Happy anniversary! Great post. Love your dress and creative layering !

2. February 26, 2016 / 10:40 am

I’m also annoyed by #relationshipgoals. Peoples’ relationships are different and what matters is that both people feel like they are getting what they need in the relationship and that they are partners – a team that’s a building a life together.

Happy 3rd anniversary, guys! Cute photos 🙂

3. February 26, 2016 / 5:25 pm

Such beautiful pictures, it shows how much complicity you have and how much you love each other! And we agree with your text, every relationship is different and it’s not because it looks good on the pictures that the relationship behind is happy. We should all build our own relationship happiness, without comparing each others.

4. February 26, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Happy Anniversary! Indeed, it is not easy to manage and maintain relationships. I agree with you that good relationship will help you to become a better person. Love your outfit, chic as always!

5. February 27, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Congrats on three years guys! Loving this his and her style, you guys rock! Wish my boyfriend can dress as well as yours 😉 I’ve been with him for 15+ years so I can definitely say it’s a never ending learning process, and that to each their own.

xo, alice / T Y P E N U

6. February 29, 2016 / 5:06 pm

Great post. Love the photos & your outfit =)
    -mainou
    aesthetics

7. February 29, 2016 / 5:55 pm

I totally agree with the sentiment behind this (and happy anniversary by the way – such a stylish couple!). I feel that way about social media in general, it’s important not to compare our lives to a perfectly posed glimpse into somebody else’s!