peppermint & snow

My winter wardrobe has been feeling a little too black-and-gray lately, so when I saw this dress with its peppermint candy cane stripes, it was a “why not?” moment. It was a risky buy, since I usually shy away from pieces that are bold and bright; but it turned out to be flattering and comfortable, while adding a bit of needed spark to the gloomy February weather Boston has been having lately (how is it already mid-February??).

new2

new3

new4

Switch out the boots and tights for a pair of flats or white sneakers, and the dress is ready to transition into spring!

new5

Since the dress makes a statement, I kept everything else minimal. This white scarf has been a recent favorite of mine — it’s so cozy and soft, and is a neutral yet luminous complement to any winter outfit.

new6

new7

new8

new11

new12

Outfit

topshop stripe shirt dress

reformation sabel coat

topshop magnificent sock boots

asos monki super soft scarf  (in blue here)

kara soft black tie crossbody bag

karen walker special fit super duper thistle sunglasses

anarchy street opulent stone rings

photography by the sublime alice xiang

20 Comments

1. February 12, 2016 / 11:02 am

Love the way you paired this dress. I also shy away from super bold and bright stuff. I don’t mind colour but usually go for subdued like blush pink, olive green, mustard yellow, navy blue. I do love clothing that has multiple colours to work with.

• February 26, 2016 / 2:14 pm

Thank you Thuy for your constant support! 🙂 It means a lot. I love all those colors that you listed. I usually stay away from bold colors, but once in a while a risky buy is so much fun!

2. February 13, 2016 / 2:22 am

I think your title perfectly describes this dress. It was a risk as you said but I think you pulled it off super beautifully.
    Happy Galentine’s Day!
    Much Love Karen
    (STYLESMORGASBORD) [BLOGLOVIN])

• February 26, 2016 / 2:11 pm

Hi Karen! Thank you so much for the nice comment 🙂 Hope you had a wonderful gal/ valentine’s day!

• February 26, 2016 / 2:10 pm

Hi Sara! Thanks for stopping by, and I’m glad you liked the dress. Exactly, wear something because it makes you happy! 🙂

3. February 15, 2016 / 8:59 am

You look incredible! I adore your dress and the layers/accessories you added to it. Loving the concrete wall background too. Your striped dress really pops against it, such a great location x

• February 26, 2016 / 2:09 pm

Hi Winnie! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂 I’m glad you liked the post! This is my go-to location — one of those places that somehow look even better in photographs than in real life. Goes with any outfit!

4. February 17, 2016 / 2:55 pm

It is a risky dress, but you totally pulled it off. You look absolutely stunning, I love how you didn’t shy away from a daring print!
    xo