sea & sand

Aloha from my apartment in Cambridge, where I’m finally writing this post on my family’s Hawaiian winter getaway.

When my parents suggested this little vacation, I was battling a bad case of the unattractive sniffles, probably due to the stressful grad-school-or-job dilemma plus the subsequent endless cover-letter-drafting. Part of me was hesitant because I had a lot of work to do, but I eventually gave into the idea of road-tripping and sunbathing with family.

Our first stop was the island of Oahu, where we rented a car to explore the rest of the island at our own leisure (the views were too beautiful not to stop and admire).

new1

new2

new3

{keepsake dress | kate spade bag}

On the third day, we took a 30-minute flight to the island of Maui and tackled their most scenic drive — the Road to Hana. The drive is treacherous, notoriously full of hairpin bends and one-way bridges (thanks for driving Dad!). But the breathtaking vistas of thrashing waves, delicate waterfalls, and giant mango trees made the nausea well worth it.

One highlight of the drive was Wai’anapanapa Beach. Having only ever heard about black sand, seeing it in actuality was awe-inspiring. Who knew that the violent interaction between hot lava and seawater could produce something so starkly beautiful.

new4

new5

new6

new7

{her the label swimsuit}

After returning to Oahu, we spent a good long day at Kailua Beach before flying back to Boston. With the bluest of seas and finest of sands, it was truly idyllic.

new8

IMG_5724

new9

new11

{zimmermann playsuit | le specs sunglasses}

new12

new13

new14

new15

{c/meo collective jumpsuit}

new16

new17

{triangl bikini top | american apparel shorts | chloé sunglasses}

Hawaii was a getaway I didn’t know I needed. Apparently Hawaiian air can magically make your hair softer, skin clearer, and everyday stresses less significant. For that — and precious time with family — I am grateful, and will probably be later-gramming the turquoise blues of Hawaii (sorry in advance) to remind myself of warmer times in the coming weeks of blistering Boston coldness.

Back to work!

Photography by the phenomenal Alice Xiang

27 Comments

1. January 15, 2016 / 3:42 am

Oh my oh my! I love these photos so much! Such a getaway would be just what I need right now – sick in bed in Dutch rainy winter! My absolute favorite shots would be the ones shoot at the black sand beach!

Sophie xx

• January 20, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Hi Sophie! Thank you so much for stopping by and I’m glad you liked the photos! The black sand beach was definitely my favorite spot as well. I hope you feel better and can go on a warm getaway soon 🙂

2. Bash Harry
    January 15, 2016 / 11:39 am

I am loving your photos from Hawaii. It truly is a beautiful place, that might cure sniffles even if we’re hesitant at first. I hope you have had a fabulous time in Hawaii and a better time back in Boston <3

xx Bash | H E Y   B A S H | bloglovin’

• January 20, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Thank you so much Bash! Hawaii was beautiful, but it’s definitely good to be home 🙂 Have a wonderful day/ night!

• January 20, 2016 / 6:18 pm

Thank you Katie! They were definitely my favorites on this trip 🙂

3. January 17, 2016 / 4:09 am

I’ve been dying to visit Hawaii, and your photos are only fuelling my wanderlust! Looks like you had a wonderful time!
    xo
    Siffat

• January 20, 2016 / 6:19 pm

Hawaii is absolutely beautiful; I definitely recommend visiting some time. 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by!

• January 20, 2016 / 6:20 pm

Haha yea the drive was not the best; but at least the view made it worth it 🙂 Hawaii is gorgeous! I definitely recommend visiting some time! Thank you so much for stopping by!

P. S. Cover letters are taking over my life.

• January 20, 2016 / 6:20 pm

Thank you! Hawaii was indeed very beautiful, and we had an amazing time. 🙂

• January 20, 2016 / 6:22 pm

Thank you so much! I miss it so much too… 🙂

4. January 18, 2016 / 7:35 am

Alice did a great job capturing those moments! The outifts you wore were bomb diggity and Kailua beach looks amazing too x

Real Life Nerd // http://www.vivienekok.com

• January 20, 2016 / 6:23 pm

Hi Viviene! Alice is indeed awesome and talented 🙂 I don’t know what I would do without her. Thank you for stopping by and I’m glad you liked it!

5. January 18, 2016 / 7:22 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii! I’m glad you were able to go even if you had the sniffles! These photos are so postcard ready and I love all the clothes that you packed for such an occasion!

be the plebeian

• January 20, 2016 / 6:23 pm

Hi Jasmine! I’m glad you liked this post and thank you so much for stopping by! I definitely recommend visiting Hawaii some time. So beautiful 🙂

6. January 19, 2016 / 3:10 pm

So gorgeous! Hawaii is absolutely beautiful and indeed the perfect place to escape to from the east coast chill! Hope you had fun 🙂 xx

Erica

• January 20, 2016 / 6:24 pm

Hi Erica! I had an amazing time in Hawaii; it’s so beautiful. Thank you so much for stopping by! It means a lot. 🙂